Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day in Ghana

I was surprised to hear that Valentine's Day is celebrated here. I've always made it out to be another one of those fluffy western customs we're so famous for. BUT NO! It's here in Ghana too. However, it's not nearly in full force here as it is in North America. No Cupids, hearts, pink beer or anything crazy like that.

BUT.

If you wear red on Valentine's day, that means you're single and "available to the possibility of romance".
If you wear blue on Valentine's day, that means you're romantically unavailable and happy.

What a great idea that is! Finally, we all get a day in the year to know where everyone stands on the relationship front. I seriously think this should be adopted back home. It would save us all a lot of hassle and embarrassment. Too many of my February 13's have been spent construction papering the most perfect valentine card and conjuring the most romantical limericks, only to discover the next day that my supposed perfect mate had someone else in their lives. If, instead, every one wore pink or blue, I could simply pass on my work of art to the next most attractive pink-wearing lady I know. Done and done.

No comments: